Under Article XII, Section 2-422, Palm Beach County Code, the Office of Inspector General (OIG) is created and established in Palm Beach County to:
- Provide independent oversight of County and Municipal operations;
- Detect and prevent fraud, waste, mismanagement, misconduct, and other abuses by elected and appointed officials and employees, agencies and instrumentalities, contractors, their subcontractors and lower tier subcontractors, and other parties doing business with the county or a municipality and/or receiving county or municipal funds;
- Promote economy, efficiency and effectiveness in government; and
- Conduct audits and investigations of, require production of documents from, and receive full and unrestricted access to the records.
The following core values contribute to the foundation of the Office of Inspector General:
- Leadership: We lead by example, demand excellence from ourselves, to work with commitment to the mission, to remain humble and never waiver on principles, and to always treat people with dignity and respect.
- Professionalism: We maintain self-control and are governed by standards and a code of ethics. We ensure high quality of service and conduct ourselves with honor and integrity.
- Accountability: We always do the right thing, day in and day out, in our tasks and relationship interactions to fulfill the Inspector General mission. Our commitment is to deliver value added service and to accept full responsibility for our actions.
- Communication: We effectively convey our findings and recommendations clearly, concisely, and with fact finding support. We will avoid surprises to our customer to every extent possible.
- Sense of Urgency: We recognize and act on issues that require immediate attention. We are proactive in our actions and flexible in our thinking.
- Teamwork: We challenge each other cooperatively to make progress every day. We work together at all levels in developing and continually improving our processes.
- Innovative: We strive to be creative and bring new ideas in performance of our duties. We do not fear change and readily accept new challenges.