Mulching retains soil moisture, moderates soil temperature and helps prevent erosion and weeds. By using mulch, you’ll use less water, have healthier plants and fewer weeds.
- Keep a 2-3 inch layer of mulch over the roots of trees and shrubs and in plant beds.
- Leave at least 2 inches of space between the mulch and plant’s trunk or stem.
- Replenish mulch once or twice a year.
- Create self mulching areas under trees where leaves can stay where they fall.
- Use by-product mulches whenever possible. Eucalyptus, Melaleuca and Australian pines make great mulches.
- Free mulch is available from the Solid Waste Authority (SWA).