Flood Awareness Directory
Did You Know?
- Floods are the most common and widespread of all natural disasters outside of fire
- 90% of all presidential-declared U.S. natural disasters involve flooding
- Floods occur within all 50 states (they can occur any time, anywhere)
- Communities particularly at risk are those in low lying areas, coastal areas, or downstream from large bodies of water
- 25% of flooding occurs outside areas formally designated as being flood prone (i.e. Special Flood Hazard Areas)
- Nation-wide, flooding caused more than $4 billion a year in losses and 2,200 deaths in the 1990's
- There is a 26% chance of experiencing a flood during the life of a 30 year mortgage (more than 6 times the likelihood of a fire)
- Even minor flooding can cost homeowners thousands of dollars in losses and repairs
- Flood damage is virtually never covered by standard homeowners insurance
- Flood insurance purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is relatively inexpensive (the average premium for $100,000 coverage is a little over $300 per year at this writing)
- Today NFIP insures more than 4 million policyholders in more than 19,000 communities in the U.S.
- Florida residents and businesses hold more than 40% of all flood insurance policies in the nation
- Palm Beach County has many programs to mitigate flood risks and assist residents before, during and after flood events
- Palm Beach County's flood program currently saves residents over $5,000,000.00 per year in insurance premiums.