P.O. Box 1989
West Palm Beach, FL 33402-1989
FAX: (561) 355-3819
Palm Beach County
Board of County
Mary Lou Berger
Hal R. Valeche
Steven L. Abrams
Priscilla A. Taylor
Verdenia C. Baker
"An equal opportunity
Affirmative Action Employer"
Electronic Press Release
Consumer Traps & Tips # 60 - Census Takers At Your Door
For immediate release: January 19, 2010
Contact: Dennis Moore, 561-712-6600 • PBC Consumer Affairs Division
A weekly service of the Palm Beach County Consumer Affairs Division
Jennifer lives in downtown Jupiter with her husband and two children. She was on the telephone when the door bell rang. She looked through the front door curtains but didn’t recognize the man who was carrying a shoulder bag and a book binder. Not expecting anyone and a little uneasy about answering the door to a stranger, she went back to her telephone call and waited for the man to leave. But who was he?
The “stranger” at the door was a census taker. What else do you need to know?
- Census takers are usually from your community and may be your neighbors
- They carry a book with addresses of those who did not return the 2010 census form. They are issued identification badges and a “U.S. Census Bureau” bag.
- In March 2010, forms consisting of 10 questions will be sent to every residence in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. There is a return postage-paid envelope provided.
- If you don’t return the form, you may receive a visit from a census taker.
- Your participation is required by law and the information you provide is vital to determine the needs of your community. The census taker is sworn for life to protect the data collected. A violation for unlawful disclosure could result in criminal charges or a fine up to $250,000 or imprisonment up to five years or both.
- Census takers can provide help for people who don’t speak English. They carry flashcards written in 50 languages. The resident points to the language he/she speaks, and the contact will be reassigned to a person who speaks that language.
- If you’re still uneasy about answering the door to a stranger, look for a door hanger with phone number to call and schedule a visit.
For more information visit http://2010.census.gov/2010census or call Palm Beach County Consumer Affairs at 561-712-6600 (Boca/Delray residents call 888-852-7362 toll free) or visit http://www.pbcgov.com/consumer.
# # #