The Small Business Assistance (SBA) Advisory Committee was created under Palm Beach County Ordinance No. 2002-064. It is made up of 13 members comprising a variety of business people, entities and organizations. Members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners and serve for a total of three years. Each member serves without compensation and may be removed without cause by the Board of County Commissioners at any time. The SBA Advisory Committee members serve to:
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness of the small business program within County government;
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the County's Small Business policies and procedures, resolutions and ordinances, including their implementation by the various County departments;
- Study and evaluate the necessity for further County regulations and procedures regarding small business participation;
- Receive, and where necessary, analyze information concerning the presence of discrimination in the bidding and contracting process and recommend to the Board of County Commissioners further steps to alleviate such discrimination;
- Prepare, adopt and present an annual report to the Board of County Commissioners;
- Research and review other jurisdictions' small business programs;
- Acts as a conduit between the County and the community, industry; organizations, trade associations, chambers of commerce and small and minority/women businesses;
- Plan and participate in education and training for small businesses;
- Research and recommend to the Board of County Commissioners race and gender-neutral mechanisms which will assist small businesses;
- Monitor and report on level of minority/women business enterprise participation;
- Monitor legislative initiatives and other issues and activities which impact small and M/WBE businesses and advise the Board of County Commissioners concerning same.
The SBA Advisory Committee meets regularly, every third Wednesday of the month except in July and December when there are no meetings.
SBA Advisory Committee Calendar of Meetings 2012